Lotek on Vimby Questions

Lotek has been releasing a bunch of web videos on Vimby over the past few weeks. To see what was going on, I hit up Rich Hirsh to get full scoop.

Check out the interview after the jump –

How’s the stuff going with Vimby?
So far so good… No complaints from my end.

How did you hook up with them?
Marco linked us up for the most part since he was filming for Lotek and Vimby  most of the summer, so the idea of putting the two together felt fairly natural from the start.

What made you decide to move from a full DVD to web episodes?

I personally was never to into the idea of a DVD, a lot of people have this perception online video gets forgotten quickly and DVD’s last forever but I don’t think that could be more backwards. That’s no different then not accepting mediums like digital photography, CD’s, or even VHS… Beta had better quality but it didn’t matter since more people were using VHS. A good video is good regardless of where it’s played.

How many more videos can we expect from all the SF footage?
There were 3 in total of edited SF footage but there will most likely be more featuring other riders and things that didn’t fit into the length of the edits so they will probably get there own.

Do you have more video projects planned with Vimby?
Yeah this was actually just sort of a launch to Lotek/Vimby working together so there will be plenty more to come.

Who has your favorite clip from last summer?
My favorite has to be the over-under air with jay and Eddie at the ditch.  Hoang’s nose manual up that huge ledge in the second video definetly blew me away though.

Did you get many riding clips?
No my back was hurt the whole time we worked on this project, I just started filming again this month.

How was it working with Marco?
Real good, he really managed the majority of the project and once we figured that Vimby was the way we wanted to go with it everything was smooth sailing. it’s not easy to trust someone else filming when it’s for your own project and I couldn’t be happier with the footage.

What is your stance on Mike Hoders throat tat?
Big rock and roll fan.

What is better, beta VHS or HD?
Wow skipped right over DVD haha. There is no best, they all are great when used in an interesting way. It all ends up on the web and last time i checked though and neither of those choices actually exist online.

Check out all the Lotek videos on Vimby here.

23 responses to “Lotek on Vimby Questions”

1. Loop says:

I love the first Mixtape and I think I would have preferred another dvd release.

On the other hand I have been very vocal on the subject on web videos and how it’s where the future of bmx videos lies.

However, I would have preferred to be able to download the video (Quicktime would be nice) so I didn’t have to check out Vimby every time.

I think Mosh had it right for a while, back when Ardelean was still on the team and they were releasing monthly web edits.

2. that dude. says:

3. Andrew says:

rich weren’t you one of the guys talking about web edits being forgotten quickly and sort of being anti-video? i seem to remember that for some reason. no reason you can’t change your mind though.

4. Andrew says:

anti-web-video, excuse me.

5. jared says:

i wouldn’t mind the digital release if the video quality wasn’t sub par and it was downloadable. mutiny has it right.

6. Andrew says:

i agree with jared.

7. Rich says:

I don’t think i said that but maybe I did? I don’t feel that way though… I think DVD’s are forgotten, I haven’t seen a BMX DVD in a long time other then something that just came out. I make shoes not videos so it’s a different deal really, I see them more as a way to give back to the people that support Lotek so Vimby is the best way for as many people as possible with the videos.

I dont think theres a right answer right now to the whole DVD vs. web deal because the two are totally different things really. If i spent a year fo my life working on a video i would really want to see it on a DVD for people to watch hi-qaulity on a TV, but because of the large amount of time and money that would go into it I would’nt be able to do more then 1 video a year at the most. This we can be constantly working on new shit with the team and the team is real big so it’s going to be a while before we run out of content.

Message.

8. Loop says:

“When we did that we got charged a shitload for monthly overages on bandwidth… it sucked.”

Sorry, that was probably me watching me over and over again!

The thing is, that’s not a flaw with the idea: that’s a flaw in the execution. I realsise you already have a relationship with Vimbybut if you were to use a service like Vimeo you would be able to release the videos in Flash format (which is also embedable) like Vimby but the viewer would also have the option to download the file which was origianlly uploaded (i.e. the Quicktime file or whatever) if they were after higher quality or just wnated their own version to keep.

“[With] …this we can be constantly working on new shit with the team and the team is real big so it’s going to be a while before we run out of content.”

I think you have absolutely the right idea here. The other advantage is that you stay much more relevant to what’s going on right now: I think the relationship between web edits and dvd is similar to websites and magazines.

“I think DVD’s are forgotten”

I know what you mean but on the other hand, dvds have longevity. It might be months before I watch a dvd for a second time but I know it will still be there when I eventually came back to it: you can’t say the same for online media. It happens less often nowadys, but I still find myself looking for something on a website which has been updated/revamped and finding the article/video/whatever has been lost to the ether. Perhapsa compilation dvd of a years worth of web edits would be the answer?

9. Kyle says:

I agree that web edits are the way to go in Lotek’s case, but there is something about holding the dvd in your hands that I like. Then there is the artwork, and the overall design of the dvd menus that add to the whole package.

10. Chris says:

Those monthly Mosh edits were amazing. I still watch the one with the ridiculous Ian part like every week.

11. Andrew says:

for some reason i remember you saying you changed your mind on web edits when the mutiny web video came out with the option of apple TV.

12. ichabod says:

“a lot of people have this perception online video gets forgotten quickly and DVD’s last forever but I don’t think that could be more backwards. That’s no different then not accepting mediums like digital photography, CD’s, or even VHS… Beta had better quality but it didn’t matter since more people were using VHS.”

Those are all “physical” copies…. so that really doesn’t make any sense what you are saying….web media exists solely for the web…. CD’s, VHS, BETA, DVD etc are tangible media outlets. There is still a market for dvd’s it just has to be marketed in a way that is different than every other new latest greatest trick video.

It comes down to the producer and the consumer not being lazy and not havin things super convenient.

13. chris says:

Holding and touching a DVD is awesome yet a waste of our precious resources.

14. patrick says:

Yeah I think web delivery only is totally cool for video but only when the quality is there. I think the point about resources is valid, when we can send the same information non-physically around the world it makes sense to save the energy and do that.

I haven’t watched this episodes yet, even though I really liked the mixtapes and the Vancouver videos, just because the Vimby player is really crap. I guess it comes down to that. Vimeo [or anything similar] with download option is perfect for the consumer.

15. Chrisfoto says:

I would just like to say that i felt that the first lotek mixtape and lotek vancouver were both amazing videos, vancouver in particular, the riding was on key but the filming and editing were even better, i was alway impressed with it. however, the new lotek shorts that you guys uploaded to vimby seemed far from the lotke video standard? and after watching the vimby web vids i can realize why you went straight to web and not dvd.
    i really hope to see a new lotek video sometime in the future! where you guys spend the time and effort into making it good as the old ones portrayed.

may i ask who filmed/edited vancouver?

-chris

16. Ryan says:

Wolf’s car… ha-ha!

17. rt says:

beta, vhs, dvd… can i get a lazer disc please?

18. Drew K says:

I really want to see an epic Lotek DVD video. With a team as big, and diverse, as Lotek’s that would be one hell of a video.

19. Title

[…]just beneath, are numerous absolutely not related internet sites to ours, nonetheless, they may be certainly really worth going over[…]

20. Title

[…]Wonderful story, reckoned we could combine a handful of unrelated data, nonetheless actually really worth taking a appear, whoa did one understand about Mid East has got more problerms also […]

21. Title

[…]very couple of internet websites that occur to be detailed beneath, from our point of view are undoubtedly effectively worth checking out[…]

22. Mohammed says:

This is true for funding advice as effectively.